2005-03-16

Say what you mean, AND mean what you say

Member writes:
In a message dated 3/15/2005 6:39:49 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, X writes:
I'm not sure if you have talked to X since the weekend but we were in pretty rough shape by the time she could leave. We were babysitting a couple people (I'm not going to drop any names) and I'm not sure what you would have thought of us!Someone told me you had quite the crowd over at your place, I sure hope you aren't upset with us! I had your book with me along with some other questions but I'm sure we'll talk soon.Would you consider rescheduling?
MoneyProf's response:
BS excuse. You could have left before X . Or called early in the day to cancel.
Yes, lets reschedule, BUT show up when you say you will.
"say what you mean, AND mean what you say.".


This is from a new member:

In a message dated 3/13/2005 4:29:12 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, X writes:
> WOW!!! What fantastic information. You have to wonder what peoples > motivation are to offer advise on financial matters. I love MoneyProf's answer to that by the students having the feeling of "owing" it may > compel them to continue and succeed.

MoneyProf's response:
Thanks for your comments.

I hope you're right on "owing may compel them to continue and succeed," but its a lot harder than that. Don't want to sound negative, but REALLY tough to get through to people on " a deal is a deal". There is a definite pattern that as a general rule, people that keep their word on non financial matters, also do good on financial matters. Why.............. because it follows the same thinking process.

For example: two of the "members" emailed me a couple of weeks ago that they were going to visit me Sat. night as they would be in town. They were coming over with the 3rd person friend (who is not a member because she said "she doesn't have money to save", boy does she need to learn the "latte" factor. :) AND the philosophy below.
She also emailed that she would stop over for a drink.

It was confirmed over several emails, exact words "will definitely stop over".
All 3 didn't stop AND didn't call. They will probably be polite and say sorry with a BS excuse( because they're smart enough to know I would want to hear that) , but really don't get that it was very rude to not call to cancel. ( I had other people stop for a drink, so I wasn't sitting there waiting for them)
You might say what does this have to do with financial matters??
It does: a deal is a deal, is the bill paid on time or not, is money spent to buy extra sunglasses at the same time you're saying " I can't afford to save $20 this week for my IRA" etc, etc.
This is the point: "say what you mean, AND mean what you say."

Hold it right here a min. IF you're thinking yes, but its OK to change your mind. (I love that one, I've heard that BS excuse so many times)
True, totally OK to change your mind, but then you owe the other person a call in advance. Repeat: you owe the other person a call in advance.

Important note: approximately half of the members reading this probably think " this guys nuts, of course its OK to not show up if you get a better offer. The other half probably think " I don't get this why is it necessary for him to explain the lowest level of "say what you mean, AND mean what you say.", they think "I live by that."

Now a question for you: which group do you think will do better financially???? Of course the group that gets a "deal is a deal" will.
I hope both groups do good, as I'm hoping that the BS excuse group "sees the light", and changes to "say what you mean, AND mean what you say."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home